Originally built in 1942 as a storage facility and Naval Intelligence office, Building 77 is on the National Register of Historic places and is now regarded as a recognized model of high-density urban manufacturing. Home to companies from fashion to tech, the ground floor food hub harks back to the site’s history. The mostly windowless warehouse was gutted and reimagined as a light-filled space. Exterior façade and columns were replaced from floors 3 through 16 to allow for a new window wall system. Aged concrete required significant repairs and Concretal—Lasur Stain was chosen to blend patches and modify the color without losing the “gritty” nature of raw, historic concrete surface.
This image at right was taken after the new window wall system was installed. Note the variability of color of the cast concrete.